10.10.2016

Week 8 Reflections

I changed my note taking method after a few weeks in order to better prepare for the storytelling assignments. I used to make bullet points as I read the stories, but now I just write in paragraph format after I've read everything. I think this has helped significantly because it allows me to focus on what stood out most to me. I tended to focus too much on every single detail with the bullet points. Now I have fewer story ideas, but they are more developed so I have more of an idea of what I can write before I sit down to do the storytelling assignment. For the rest of the semester I would like to read stories beyond the epics and take full advantage of the books at Bizzell.

I have not been the most consistent with the weekly storytelling assignments. This is due to my note taking and just not having enough time. I've found that if I don't have a well developed idea of what to write before starting the post then it can take me much longer than an hour to complete my story. My writing has become more efficient as I find styles that I like and have more practice with creative writing. I would still really like to try the five motif writing style, so perhaps I will try that soon. I am also developing the style that I want for my storybook.

Normally I don't like some of my classmates' informal style of writing. The stories that I enjoy reading and commenting on have a good amount of detail and imagery, not just motions and dialogue. However, I am trying to use a more informal format for my storybook. so I may pay closer attention to those stories as I go on through the semester.

Image: Keep Calm and Blog by Caroline Coles, Flickr

1 comment:

  1. I also have experimented with the reading note methods that I use! Truth be told, I don't love taking notes when I'm reading... I feel that it distracts from the pleasure of reading! However, I'm really trying to be better about using it as a tool to analyze how I can tell my own story. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete