10.17.2016

Reading Notes: Epified Krishna, Part A

These videos are so great. I was interested in watching some of the others, but they were too long. I didn't have time to watch a playlist with thirty minute episodes tonight. Maybe in the coming weeks I will have more time because the Hindu calendar videos particularly look good.

Krishna's childhood is so neat and remind me a lot of the Disney Hercules story in which this demigod is sent to live in a small village with human parents. As the parents and the villagers realize that Krishna is not a normal boy, they come to respect and rely on him. This is much better than the rejection Hercules faces, but I wonder how this praise doesn't get to Krishna's head. He still seems so humble and wise in the Mahabharata even though he was the favorite child and a troublemaker growing up.

The beginning of Krishna's story is very dark. I couldn't imagine how his poor mother and father felt, being trapped in that prison cell for so long and watching each of your children be beaten to death by your own family. I truly hope King Kamsa gets what's coming to him soon.

Bibliography: Epified Krishna Videos, Part A
Image: Hercules strangling a snake sent to kill him in his cradle, Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment