9.20.2016

Story: The Blind Warrior

Although Bhishma stole two lovely brides for Vichitravirya, they bore no sons until after the king's death. Upon Vichitravirya's death, his mother, Satyavati, was desperately looking for someone to continue her line. Bhishma took an oath to never have children so she called upon her other son Vyasa to give her grandsons.

Vyasa complied with his mother's wishes, but because he had lived as a hermit in the woods for so many years he was not the most attractive to the young brides. Ambilika actually turned pale from fear while she lied with him, causing her son, Pandu, to be born with a very pale complexion. Ambika closed her eyes the entire time she was with the sage, so her son, Dhritarashtra, was born blind.

Satyvati desired a son with no defect so she also sent Vyasa her handmaiden, and their son was named Vidura.

All three of these children were raised by Bhishma, the acting regent. They each were taught the laws and trained as warriors. Bhishma was an excellent and patient teacher, but trying to teach Dhritarashtra soon became a burden too heavy to bear.

One day during a particularly difficult fighting lesson, Bhishma became overwhelmingly frustrated with young Dhritarashtra and yelled at him, "Teaching a blind boy is pointless! You will never become anything. You might as well go wander through the jungle until you are attacked by a beast."

Poor Dhritarashtra fled away with tears in his eyes. He stumbled and bumped his way around the palace until he collapsed in the prayer room with his head in his hands, crying and pleading the gods to either cure his deformity or end his life.

"Oh please! If you will not heal this crippling affliction, then do my family the favor of easing their burden for I will never be able to accomplish any honorable feats in this world. I will remain a disgraceful hardship on my mother, uncle, and brothers throughout my entire life!"

Durga, the warrior goddess, heard this young boys cries and pitied him. She decided to help him and spoke gentle words to calm his fit.

"Dhritarashtra, I have heard your pleas for healing and death, but I will give you neither. You have a strong heart and shall to prove to be a brave warrior with my help. From this day forward I will be your eyes. At any moment you are on the battle field facing your foes, I will serve as your third eye, looking over your shoulder and whispering in your ear."

Durga kept her promise and helped Dhritarashtra become a legendary warrior. Initially, Bhishma and his brothers were doubtful that such a fierce goddess would ever bless a blind man with such a powerful gift. They were shocked at his sudden improvement during lessons, but soon came to admire his talents. He never lost a battle nor a war with Durga's celestial guidance, and was feared by all his enemies. Yet the memory of that day on which he felt most broken, only saved by the mercy of a kind goddess, always kept him humble.

Author's Note: As I mentioned in my reading notes, my grandpa was blind so Dhritarashtra's story particularly upset me. I thought he actually made a great king until he was corrupted by his son. While reading about his early life, I just wondered how cool it would be if he became a powerful warrior despite being blind. Googling Hindu warrior gods and goddesses led me to learn about Durga, and I thought she would be a perfect match for the yound Dhritarashtra.

Bibliography: Public Domain Mahabharata, Web Source
Image: Durga Mahisasuramardini, Wikimedia Commons

4 comments:

  1. Very nice story, Megan! I love how you incorporated all the characters and interpreted the Mahabharata in this case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness I love what you did with this story! Having such a personal connection to the story really came out in your writing. Im glad that Durga neither cured him or killed him but did better by making him confident with who he was already. It was a great story with a good moral and I enjoyed reading it. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wrote my last story from Satyavati's POV so I had a fun time reading blips about her place in the overall story. Your tone of writing makes this think of a story someone would have their coming of age child read... if that makes sense? I was intrigued and entertained during the entire read. I'm glad you looked up Durga, I really enjoyed getting to know her. My overall favorite line was, "He stumbled and bumped his way around the palace until he collapsed in the prayer room with his head in his hands, crying and pleading the gods to either cure his deformity or end his life." I was pulled right into the imagery you created! Very nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of a person who isn't entirely able-bodied being able to still be a successful warrior. Also, there's a minor typo that I noticed that you might want to address... the paragraph uses the word "yound" instead of the word "young", which is what I think you meant. I do that pretty much all the time.

    ReplyDelete