9.27.2016

Reading Notes: Public Domain Mahabharata, Section D

This section held many different epic battles. I was disappointed to see Karna waste his celestial dart on someone who wasn't Arjuna. Their fight was interesting though and brought up many moral conflicts within the Mahabharata. A main theme of this text seems to be honor vs morality since these often are not the same thing.

There is so much death and mourning, and Duyrodhana remains a stubborn coward until his end. I do like that a couple of the Kaurava warriors die with dignity though. The Pandavas resort to tricks to kill Drona, but at least his soul ascends before his body is slayed. Bhishma's death is also unique, and it's heartwarming that people from both sides came to speak with him before he died. But why did they leave him lying on the battlefield for so long if they knew he wouldn't die for months?

I was also touched when Vysa reunited everyone, dead and alive, at the Ganges river for one night. I imagine a mystical watery world where everyone feasted, laughed, and sang the whole night.

The story with the mongoose also intrigued me and made me smile. I always loved the fable with Rikki Tikki Tavi, and I have owned ferrets as pets so any story including a weasel or other related animal is so entertaining to me. This mongoose tale is also interesting because it is seemingly random and unwarranted.

Bibliography: Public Domain Mahabharata, Web Source
Image: Yellow Mongoose, Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment