9.18.2016

Reading Notes: Hanuman to the Rescue (Ramayana Comic Book)

This is my first time reading the comic books on reserve at Bizzell and truly love them. I selected this one because I found Hanuman to be an interesting character in the Ramayana. He always seems to come through when Rama needs him, but appears to be a more behind the scenes helper. I learned from the reading last week that Hanuman is actually a reincarnation of Shiva born solely to help Rama defeat Ravana.

This comic book told the story of Hanuman saving Lakshmana's life in more detail than the other versions I have read. I really enjoyed when he set the celestial dancer free from her crocodile body. I pity Kalanemi because he got all caught up in this when he wanted nothing to do with him. Hanuman's strength and ability to grow were also quite impressive as he transported an entire mountain and fought many enemies with only one arm and a tail! I wonder where his powers come from. Are they just part of being The Son of the Wind? Or were they gifted to him at some point? The other monkeys don't seem to be able to do the same feats.

Bibliography: Hanuman to the Rescue: Hanuman Brings the Sanjeevani
Image: Hanuman fetches the herb-bearing mountain, Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment