9.06.2016

Reading Notes: Public Domain Ramayana, Section D


  • The story of how Rama crosses the ocean to Lanka confounds me. First, he receives help instead of punishment after threatening the gods, actually launching weapons into the sea. Then, the vanar chief, Nala, constructs this magnificent bridge with so unexplained ease. The story ends with Rama praising and worshiping Shiva instead of thanking the King of the Sea or Nala.
  • Garuda is such a mysterious character. He comes and goes so quickly and with little explanation of his relationship to Rama. I wonder how he even heard of the battle.
  • I think it's very funny that Kubhakarna is only awoken by the caresses of women. I can only imagine what the rakshasas were thinking as they tried every way to wake him up. The painting that accompanies this story is also amusing.
  • Ravana's Lament allows us to see a more human side to the evil demon. I also think it's interesting that the rakshasis protect Sita to save Ravana's reputation.
  • Hanuman is always there to save the day, but not as a warrior. He first acts as a scout to look for Sita, then heals many of the leaders numerous times. If I could be any character in this story line, I think it would be Hanuman. This also makes me excited to read more about Hanuman later since I chose t read one of the comic books about him.
  • Rama's reaction to Sita actually angers me. It is one thing to question her fidelity, but he didn't even give her a chance to explain that she was faithful. Even if she wasn't, the circumstances that she was under would have been enough today to reject any stigma. I understand that this is part of the culture of the time period, but it still upsets me that this discrimination was ever a common ideal.
  • Ugh! Now the people of Ayodhya treat Sita with the same prejudice as Rama! Near the end I begin to wonder if this part of the story is supposed to be a social commentary because it is this issue of virtue that ends up separating Sita and Rama  for the rest of their earthly lives as humans as well as separating Rama from his sons. This almost ruins their love story for me.
Bibliography: Public Doamain Ramayana, Web Source
Image: Bhavana Sita Contaminated, Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment