8.29.2016

Reading Notes: Public Domain Ramayana, Section A

  • King Dasharatha, ruler of Ayodhya was happy except for the fact that he had no sons by either of his three wives: Kaushalya, Kaikeyi, or Sumitra.
  • I wonder what the horse did and where it went for an entire year before returning to Ayodhya for the sacrifice. What was the brahmin doing?
  • The Ocean of Milk in Rama: The Avatar of Vishnu triggers my imagination. Maybe I could write a story that emphasized its beauty.
  • Thataka presents the second instance I've read so far in which a woman's nose is cut off. Is this a theme in Hindu storied, and if so why? 
  • Thataka also seems to be unfairly attacked as vengeance/ bait for her sons. She didn't even possess any weapons but stones. Still, Rama's celestial weapons are pretty cool.
  • Bhagiratha's story interests me a lot because of his abstinence from food. I have read of many instances like this with Hindu activists in the 20th and 21st centuries.
  • I love the love story of Sita and Rama is so much! It reminds me of so many movies. It would be so fun to rewrite this story in modern day or a different setting.
  • Manthara and Kaikeyi interest me because it represents the classic struggle for power fueled by fear. It also reminds me of biblical imagery of the snake whispering in Eve's ear.
Bibliography: Public Domain Ramayana, Web Source
Image: Ram-Sita on Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment