8.27.2016

Growth Mindset

I have never heard of Carol Dweck's Growth Mindset philosophy before, but it makes total sense to me. I have been put in gifted/talented classes since elementary school where the teaching strategies followed this idea. I was never expected to finish a project completely or correctly. There was always something to improve or a skill to learn in order to do better next time. Now, my academic goals don't always follow this philosophy very well. All my classmates talk about during enrollment are which classes are the "easy A's", and it's difficult not to give in to this idea when various post-graduate programs judge harshly on your college GPA.

However, I do still try to challenge myself by enrolling in extra classes that I find interesting and volunteering with new groups each semester. Now, the main challenge for me is time management between everything as opposed to learning new skills. Anatomy is the perfect example of this. I enrolled in this strenuous 5-hour course when it wasn't required because I was genuinely interested in the material.

Image: Female Anatomy 1897, Source: Wikimedia Commons

1 comment:

  1. My friend is taking Anatomy right now and is find it incredibly challenging, so props to you for taking it without any requirement to! I also was enrolled in gifted classes during my primary education that focused on the growth mindset that I found to be really important in my development as a student, and I'm glad to hear that someone else thinks that too!

    ReplyDelete