11.27.2016

Reading Notes: Pattanaik's Calendar Art, Part E

I found these two videos quite interesting. I listened to them on my ride back to Norman tonight. The metaphor of Vishnu as cowherd and the Cow as earthly resources has been mentioned in a previous video, but I liked hearing it explained more in depth. Vishnu as the judge of dharma makes perfect sense to me, especially as his reincarnation of Rama.

In this form, Rama right the balance of power and nature between many characters. The story of Vishnu as Matsya, the first fish, intrigues me very much as well, but the ending puzzles me. Initially, this fish teaches man the importance of kindness, but then he teaches a lesson of showing too much kindness. There is also a future savior-like avatar of Vishnu, called Kalki which is equally fascinating. It seems that a character like this can be found in every major religion.


Bibliography: Pattanaik's Calendar Art, Part E
Image: Dasavatar (Vishnu's Avatars), Wikimedia Commons




No comments:

Post a Comment