11.28.2016

Reading Notes: Draupadi: The Fire-born Princess, Part A

I finally decided to read one of the graphic novels on reserve at the Bizzell Library. I used to read Manga so I was interested in how the epics we've been reading would be portrayed.

Firstly, I love the artwork and how each characters have their own  unique details. The Epified videos and the comic books do not do as good of a job at this. I also like that a family tree is included on the inside cover. One of the most difficult things to keep up with, especially in the Mahabharata, is how everyone is related.

This novel is essentially the stories of the Pandavas told by Draupadi, but her perspective brings new life to the tales. Particularly, the birth of Draupadi took me by surprise! I had never heard this story before, but remember the king that Drona ordered the Pandavas to bring to him as their gift? That king that grew up with Drona and later left him starving is Draupadi's father! Afterwards, he and his wife meditated and prayed until the gods sent them a son and a daughter via fire sacrifice to avenge them.

Bibliography: Draupadi: The Fire-born Princess by Sarswati Nagpal
Image: Woman and Fire, Pixabay

No comments:

Post a Comment